2012 Taste of the Hawaiian Range
Cooking Grass-fed Beef 101
Yield 6 portions
Executive Chef James Babian
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp Italian Parsley
1 TBS parmesan
2# Dry aged Grass fed beef top round
4-6 Very Thin Slices of Good Quality Prosciutto
4 TBS Fresh Bread Crumbs
1 oz Grated Pecorino Cheese
1 TBS Fresh Chopped Garlic
1 TBS Italian Parsley Chopped
2 TBS Toasted Pine nuts
Olive Oil as needed
1 Onion Chopped
2 Celery Ribs Chopped
1 Carrot Chopped
1 Cup Good Italian Red Wine
1 28 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes
2 TBS Tomato Paste
2 Fresh Island Tomatoes
4 Bay Leaves
Fresh Ground Pepper
- Take the first 3 ingredients and mix together season with salt and pepper. In a non stick pan make 2-3 thin omelets, reserve.
- Lay the beef out and butterfly cut. Place between plastic and pound out till half inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Lay the prosciutto slices on the beef, then the omelets. Mix the breadcrumbs, pecorino, parsley, pine nuts, 1 egg and a touch of olive oil sprinkle mixture over omelets.
- Roll the beef up roulade style and secure with string.
- In a heavy bottom skillet add a few TBS of Olive oil and sear the beef on all sides.
- Add the celery, onions, and carrots and sauté till onions are translucent.
- Add the beef back in, add the wine, tomato products, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cover
- Cover and braise till tender 2-3 hours.
- When tender remove from heat let rest 5-7 minutes, remove String
- Run sauce through and blender, taste and adjust seasoning. Place sauce down on plate and top with sliced Braciole.