for Chef Abarcar 101 Cooking Demo
5 lbs. oxtail, fat trimmed
1 lb. daikon, large dice
2 4-inch pieces of ginger, smashed
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup Shao Xing or sherry wine
2 TBS sugar
3 oz. Kikkoman shoyu
3 oz. oyster sauce
3 oz. white vinegar
water- just enough to cover oxtail
4 star anise-toasted in pan
salt and white pepper to taste
Cilantro Sprigs for garnish
- Rinse and trim oxtails and thoroughly dry.
- Season with little salt and pepper and brown in heavy bottom pot. When browned, deglaze with sherry and scrape brown bits of bottom of pan.
- Add all ingredients and bring to boil. Simmer for 1 1/2- 2 hours until oxtail is alomost falling off bone.
- Add daikon and simmer another 30-45 minutes until both oxtail and daikon are tender.
- Served with steamed or fried rice. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.